Recipe Book: Tomato & Basil Soup
Tis the season of warm and wholesome dishes and soups at the top of our cooking agenda for lunch time. Here’s a spice infused twist on this delicious classic.
6 ripe tomatoes – cut into chunks
3 carrots – peeled and sliced into discs
1 green or red bell pepper – cut into chunks
1 yellow onion – cut into chunks
5 cloves of garlic – halved
6-8 fresh basil leaves
2 cups chicken or veg stock
2 tsp of Paprika
1/4 tsp chili powder (optional)
Dash of thyme
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Salt to taste
1/2 cup milk
Dab of butter
1. Add a few tablespoons of olive oil or coconut oil into a deep frying pan, and heat on high. When hot, toss in the garlic and onion and sauté until lightly browned. Then add in the carrot and sauté until lightly browned.
2. Add in another tablespoon of olive oil, along with the bell pepper and tomatoes. Cook on medium fire until tomatoes are softened. Turn heat off and let cool while completing next step.
3. In a large pot, combine the chicken stock, paprika, smoked serrano, thyme, and black pepper. Heat on low.
4. Add the cooked veggies into a blender, along with the fresh basil leaves. Blend on low speed to desired texture.
5. Add the blended mixture into the large pot, stir well with the broth, and cook on medium fire until soup thickens to desired texture. Then stir in butter and milk, add in more salt if needed, and cook a few more minutes.
6. Serve hot, and garnish with shredded fresh basil leaves and freshly ground black pepper.
Credit // Season With Spice