Monday Munchies: Sweet Potato Quinoa Patties
As the weather starts to get better, we’re looking towards anything that’s healthy and barbecue appropriate. It doesn’t all have to be about beef burgers and sausages, try out these delicious sweet potato and quinoa burgers next time you’re having a BBQ or looking for something wholesome and healthy for dinner or lunch.
2 cups baked sweet potato, skins removed & mashed (approximately 2 medium sweet potatoes)
2 cups cooked quinoa
Medium onion, diced
3 cloves of crushed garlic
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme (more to garnish)
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Fresh cracked pepper
Oil for cooking
1. Prepare quinoa according to package instructions (I cook 1 heaping cup with a scant 2 cups of water in my rice cooker).
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees, pierce sweet potatoes with fork and bake for 45 minutes or until soft. Remove skins, mash with a fork to remove all chunks and place in large mixing bowl.
3. In a sauté pan combine onions, olive oil, a hearty pinch of sea salt and cook over medium-low heat until onions are translucent. Add garlic and cook an additional minute, stirring continually to prevent the garlic from burning. Add thyme at the very end and mix well.
4. Add onions, quinoa, 1/4 teaspoon sea salt (more to taste), a bit of fresh cracked pepper to large mixing bowl with sweet potatoes and stir until well combined.
5. Form mixture into golf ball size ball, flatten into a patty, and cook in earth balance vegan butter on a non stick pan for approximately 2 minutes on each side (you want them to brown up and crisp!). Repeat to make as many as you’d like. Enjoy with a generous sprinkling of fresh thyme leaves and some finishing salt! Save any leftovers in the refridgerator to make later.
Credit // A House in Hills