Embrace Nordic Noir For Autumn/Winter ’15
If you haven’t yet discovered the works of Stieg Larsson, Jo Nesbø and Henning Mankell – among many other Scandinavian crime masters – you are missing out. Scandinavian Noir has been here for, oh, decades now, but its power and charm never fades it seems.
Image // mydomaine.com
BBC 4 afficionados will already know these, but if you are if you are a Nordic Noir novice, and want to penetrate the innerworkings of the Northern mind and gawp at some fantastic interiors, make sure you add these series to your winter watchlist: 1864, VAN VEETEREN, THE LEGACY, CRIMES OF PASSION, UNIT ONE, THE PROTECTORS, ANNO 1790, MAMMON, SEBASTIAN BERGMAN, WALLANDER, THE BRIDGE, ARNE DAHL, THE KILLING, THOSE WHO KILL. As you might have guessed from these titles already, lots of humans die at the hands of less than humans. But they do so in some magnificent interiors.
Have a look at these sensually dark and massively chic outdoor and indoor spaces:
Like the vibe? Here are some products that will help bring some attractive sophisticated darkness into your home:
Finally, follow these top tips for never-to-be-bored-with a Nordic Noir abode:
- For soft furnishings, go for appealing, dark textile textures.
- For furniture, look for timeless design in attractive dark shapes.
- For accessories, add black geometry or metallic wire shapes to a sparse interior.
- Soften the darkness by adding vivid greenery, fresh flowers or shrubs in deep reds.
- Add natural textures such as bamboo and jute, and warming accessories like fur and mohair rugs and throws, to further cosy up the look.
- Remember, Nordic Noir is not ornate Gothic – keep it simple, timeless, minimalist and relaxed.
Comfy and dark textile accessries on lifelessordinary0.tumblr.com | Dark accessories on TineK Danish design store | Autumnal red and grey hues on brostecopenhagen.com | Play of dark paint and natural wood in this dark rustic living room on roomed.nl
For more on dark Nordic-inspired beauties, check out Augusts Colour Of The Month here.
Diana Valentine runs an arts and lifestyle blog sharing interiors inspiration, practical decorating tips, fascinating finds for the creative and the curious, and musings on food and travel adventures. For more indoor and outdoor living inspiration, check her latest posts.